2Let2 Legal Knowledge - all the legal information you need to know!

The landlord must

1 - Maintain the structure and exterior of the property.

2 - Ensure the property is free from any kind of serious hazards right from the start of (day 1) and throughout your tenancy.

3 - Fit suitable smoke alarms on every floor and carbon monoxide alarms in every rooms with appliances using solid fuels – such as wood and coal – and make sure they are working from the start of your tenancy. If they are not there, you must ask your landlord to install them.

4 - Deal with any problems with the electricity, water and gas supply.

5 - Maintain any appliances and furniture they have supplied in working conditions.

6 - Carry out most repairs. If something is not working in the house, report it to your landlord or agent as soon as you can.

7 - Arrange an annual gas safety check by a Gas Safe engineer and pay for them (where there are any gas appliances).

8 - Give tenants at least 24 hours notice of visits for things like repairs – the landlord cannot walk in whenever they like.

9 - Get a licence for the property if it is a lxicensable property (things like HMO).

10 - Ensure the property is fit for use at a minimum of EPC energy efficiency band E (unless a valid exemption applies).

The landlord should also

11 - Insure the building to cover the costs of any damage to property from flood or fire!

Any of these not respected?

Call your local Citizens Advice Bureau for free impartial help!


- Gas Safety: every year an inspection must take place. Request for a copy of this before you move in!

- Electrical Safety: electrical safety checks must be made before you move in and the commencement of a tenancy, and these checks must be carried out by a competent person!

- Energy Performance Certificates: Nowadays it is a legal requirement that any property listed for sale or to rent has an up-to-date Energy Performance Certificate and that this certificate is made available to any prospective tenant. Request yours!

- Tenancy Deposit Schemes: From 2007 onwards, a scheme called "The Tenancy Deposit Scheme" is a Government backed scheme where the tenants deposit is stored within either a Free Custodial Administered Account or an Insurance Scheme where the landlord holds the deposit but pays a premium as ‘insurance’ to pay back the deposit.

- Landlords Insurance: Each house / room must have one, so your private belongings are covered!

- Furniture & Regulations: New Fire and Safety Regulations (soft furnishings) state that all furnishings (sofas, beds, chairs and the like) have to comply with the latest fire regulations.


2Let2 Legal Knowledge

See below this guide published by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government in 2019!

If you can`t see the file, you may not have the PDF plugin enabled. Why not click here to download the PDF file?